Saturday, December 15, 2012

A reminder :)

Hey guys!

I had a wonderful day today, despite the fact that I couldn't go back home. Myself and 3 other friends from CF went to visit the street ministry at PJ Old Town Fellowship. More of us were supposed to go, but most people had to work or had something else on.

First, we went to see the building where the PJ Old Town Fellowship was based. There, we were brought to look around thenbuilding, and we were told of the work they do. After that, we were brought to this back lane where every Saturday, they give out free food to the homeless and such. I had always wanted to help out at a "soup kitchen", and today, I finally had the chance to! :D

The people who came were surprisingly quite jolly, and many even sang along happily to whatever song was being played. The four of us who went were taught how to serve food the "sushi belt" way, which I'm actually quite sad I didn't take a picture of (never mind, next time! :D). It's actually a really good idea where we all stand in one row, facing opposite directions alternately. For example, if I was standing facing the left side of the lane, the two people beside me, on my left and on my right, would be standing facing the right side of the lane, and the people on the other sides of them would be facing the same direction as me, and so on. That way, we can pass two plates at a time from side to side. Genius! :D

There was also a place where the people could come to get free medical check-ups and medications and so on. There was only one doctor there, and I was really impressed by him! He just kept seeing one patient after another, doing this and doing that for the people who came to see him, treating each and every one of them with respect and sincerity.

Really, it felt great being there and trying to help out in whatever way I could, even though I'm pretty sure I did more kacau-ing then actually helping xD The doctor and all the aunties helping out the were so nice, though! They kept letting me do things, letting me feel useful. They were so nice! The doctor was also so nice, he taught me how to take the patients' blood pressure!

In a particularly embarrassing moment, though, I couldn't for the life of me hear anything on the stethoscope, and then I realised I was wearing the stethoscope the wrong way! Haha I wore the left earpiece on my right ear and the right earpiece on my left. Oops! Fail lah, this medical student! Hahahaha I went, "errr, I think im wearing the stethoscope the wrong way" and the doctor looked over and said, "yeah, you are", and everyone there started laughing while I went "Oopsss!"

Everybody was so nice, though, and I kept feeling and thinking to myself that I would really love to serve there whenever I can, alongside all these people, serving together and showing God's love to so many people looking for love and for someone to just treat them like normal people.

I am really glad I went for the exposure outing just now. Earlier on in the week, I was deciding whether to stay back for this or to go back home for a wedding. I'm so glad God helped me decide to stay back for it! I was greatly blessed!

Also, I think I really needed to go there, and God knew it. He reminded me of the reason I chose to study medicine in the first place, that is so that one day, I can go out into the mission field and be useful and welcomed, helping the people who need medical attention and showing them that I have a God who loves, who loves them too. I needed the reminder that this is what He gave me a desire for, that this is His will for me, that medicine is the course He put me in.

People will come to a doctor, while people in other fields will usually have to go to the people. Medicine itself becomes a powerful tool for evangelism! :) 

I think mummy is just a little jealous that I could help out at a soup kitchen today while she was at home! XP The soup kitchen is actually an idea mummy is very keen on :D Mummy says maybe one Saturday, when mummy and daddy come up to KL, we could all go and help out there! Yay! Sounds good :D

Oh oh oh and after everything was packed up there, the four of us had to walk pass Petaling street to get to the LRT station. There, I saw a guy with a monkey happily sitting behind him on a motorbike that was covered (decorated?) with leopard print! None of the three people I was with saw it, though, so they think maybe I was hallucinating. I don't think I was, though! XD

Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...





Buy-bye, people!!!

No comments: